Venturing beyond the hotel it is just steps away from a 24 hour bus service which takes you right into Edinburgh city centre. Edinburgh is Scotland’s compact, hilly capital. It has a medieval Old Town and elegant Georgian New Town with gardens and neoclassical buildings. Looming over the city is Edinburgh Castle, home to Scotland’s crown jewels and the Stone of Destiny, used in the coronation of Scottish rulers. Arthur’s Seat is an imposing peak in Holyrood Park with sweeping views, and Calton Hill is topped with monuments and memorials.
The Royal Mile, lined with shops selling souvenirs, clan tartans and whisky, leads from the castle to 16th-century Holyrood Palace. The Scottish National Galleries display Scottish and European art, including portraits of many famous Scots. Princes Street, the main shopping area, is home to 19th-century Jenners Department Store and its skylit grand hall. Restaurants in waterside Leith serve high-end local seafood to traditional fish and chips.
Take a look at just some of the tempting and diverse local attractions on offer in and around Edinburgh (attraction – distance from hotel):
- Edinburgh Zoo – 1.6 miles
- Edinburgh Dungeons – 4 miles
- Scotch Whisky Experience – 5 miles
- Edinburgh Castle – 5 miles
- Dynamic Earth – 5.5 miles
- The Real Mary King’s Close – 5 miles
- Palace of Holyrood House – 5.8 miles
- Royal Yacht Britannia – 7.3 miles
- Deep Sea World – 9.9 miles
- Rosslyn Chapel – 11 miles